We are sure that you aren’t new to vanilla. You would have used it regularly in various kitchen expeditions. What you might not know of it that vanilla can be used for a variety of dishes, and not all of them are desserts. The complex flavour of vanilla helps other ingredients reach their full potential so that you can have mouth-watering wholesome goodness on your plate. Ensure that you use the best quality vanilla for these dishes so that your effort doesn’t go in vain.
- Vanilla apple and thyme martinis
- Vanilla bean fizz
- Chilean monkey tail punch
- S’mores milk shake
- Vanilla bean mashed potatoes
1. Vanilla apple and thyme martinis
- 2 granny smith apples, halved
- ½ lemon
- Sprig thyme, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar or white sugar
- 45 ml vanilla vodka
- Muddle three apple cheeks, vanilla, sugar and thyme in a shaker.
- To this, add vodka, fill the other half with ice, and shake well.
- Strain this into a martini glass.
Use two slices from the remaining apples to float on top of the glasses and top it off with a sprig of thyme.
2. Vanilla bean fizz
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- 4 vanilla beans, split
- 4 cups champagne, chilled
- Boil water and sugar in a small saucepan and add vanilla beans. Reduce the heat and let it simmer uncovered for ten minutes. After turning off the heat, remove the beans.
- In a champagne flute, pour a quarter cup of vanilla syrup and half a cup of champagne. Adjust accordingly for every serving.
3. Chilean monkey tail punch
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 1-1/2 cups pisco, aguardiente, grappa or brandy
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Boil milk, cloves and cinnamon in a large saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for five minutes. Later, turn off the heat and let the mixture come to a room temperature.
- Strain it into a large pitcher and stir in vanilla, pisco, and coffee. Refrigerate until chilled.
4. S’mores milkshake
- 14 large marshmallows
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup coarsely crushed graham crackers
- Chocolate syrup
- Preheat the broiler and prepare a foil-lined baking sheet. Grease the sheet and arrange the marshmallows on it in a single layer.
- Broil 3-4 inches from heat 15-30 seconds on each side or till they turn golden brown. Let it cool.
- Blend milk and ice cream in a blender till they combine and add ten toasted marshmallows to it. Cover and pulse till all of them blend well.
- Divide this milkshake among four glasses and top these glasses off with crushed crackers and the remaining toasted marshmallows
- Serve immediately!
5. Vanilla bean mashed potatoes
- 2- pounds small red potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 vanilla bean OR you can use 2 to 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, place the potatoes in a single layer. Cover it with water and boil for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes turn soft.
- Next, drain these potatoes and run them under cool water for 2-3 minutes. Drain again.
- Let the potatoes cool, and then peel them. Make a puree out of the peeled potatoes using a food processor.
- Meanwhile, bring milk, butter and vanilla to a simmer in a saucepan. Turn off the heat and separate the vanilla beans.
- Pour this mixture over the potatoes in the food processor and process until they are combined well.
- Finally, season the potatoes with salt and black pepper.
Garnish with thyme leaves and serve!
Other clever ways to use vanilla
1. Barbecue and grilling
When it comes to barbecue, vanilla goes with everything right from grill marinades and glazes to savoury sauces. Vanilla seals the moisture in meats like lamb, chicken or fish and showcases their natural sweetness.
2. Tomato sauce and other savoury sauces
Traditionally, vanilla has been used by expert chefs to enhance the rich flavours without overpowering the other ingredients. Next time try adding a splash of pure vanilla extract to tomato sauce towards the end of cooking and witness the magic firsthand.
The bottom line
Exotic, luscious and fragrant vanilla is indispensable in cooking. It enhances the flavours in a savoury dish without overpowering its core ingredients, and the classic desserts seem incomplete without it. At Goodness Vanilla, we aim to provide only the best so that you fall in love with vanilla and the dishes you make using it. Try out today, and thank us later.